EASTERN CAPE RURAL DEVELOPMENT AGENCY (ECRDA)
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL ADVERTISEMENT
Position : Head of Office & Senior Manager: Strategy
Task Grade Level : 17
Location : Head Office
Reporting Line : Chief Executive Officer
Duration : 5-Year Contract
Start Date : As soon as possible
Position advert nr : B5
NOTE: Applicants must please clearly indicate the name and position number on the application.
Main purpose of the Position:
To provide office management services to the CEO, operational management of key functions in the Office of the CEO division, as well as and strategy development, implementation, monitoring and reporting services to the ECRDA
Assessed Competent or Advanced proficiency level on the following leading competences: - Strategic Direction and Leadership - People Management - Programme and Project Management - Financial Management - Change Leadership - Governance Leadership - Stakeholder Relations
Assessed Competent or Advanced proficiency level on the following core competences:
- Moral Competence - Planning and Organising - Analysis and Innovation - Knowledge and Information Management - Communication - Results and Quality Focus
Key Performance Areas:
1. Co-ordinate Strategy Planning: • Co-ordinate development of ECRDA strategic plans intended to optimise service provision, as well as meeting the needs of rural development beneficiaries, and other stakeholders • Provide expert advice on strategic planning frameworks, high-quality tools and processes to Executive and Senior Managers to enable a shared understanding of best practice strategic planning and to ensure that planning outcomes are highly effective and well aligned with the direction and objectives of the ECRDA • Source or direct the conduct of research into political, legislative, technological and social trends and analyse and interpret strategic trends to identify likely impacts on the ECRDA and inform the executive decision making and strategic planning processes • Facilitate the strategic review and planning processes with the executive and senior managers and operational managers, to enable the development of aligned and integrated business plans • Facilitate strategy reviews with the Board of the ECRDA • Anticipate and respond to unplanned changes in Government priorities or funding appropriations which are likely to impede effective delivery against the strategic plan, and identify mechanisms which mitigate these risks • Balance the focus on formal planning processes and provide ongoing planning support to executive management with equally critical long-term scenario modelling and strategic assessments In order to ensure co-ordination of strategic planning processes for the ECRDA
2. Co-ordinate Annual Performance Planning, Monitoring and Reporting: • Co-ordinate development of annual performance plans that incorporate goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the ECRDA • Co-ordinate processes to ensure that the development of annual performance plans are in sync, and meet the standards and timelines of National and Provincial Treasury, Provincial Legislature, and the expectations of the ECRDA Board and other stakeholders • Coordinate the preparation of annual operating plans in consultation with divisional executives and regional director • Draft annual calendar for the approval of the CEO (and Board) and prepare processes to facilitate the timely implementation of the matters outlined in the annual calendar • Provide technical support to the CEO by preparing annual performance planning meeting agenda and supporting materials In order to ensure the annual performance planning processes are carried out in a timely manner that meet standards of principals and stakeholders
3. Co-ordinate syncing of Programmes and Performance Agreements: • Co-ordinate, and provide technical assistance to the development of strategic objectives of senior managers in sync with the individual performance agreements • Provide quality assurance to performance agreements of senior managers in terms of the alignment of their individual performance objectives with the overall strategic objectives of the ECRDA • Provide quality assurance to performance agreements of senior managers in terms of the SMART-ness of the performance objectives (i.e. Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timed) • Provide quality assurance to performance agreements of senior managers in terms of meeting the minimum required / expected performance (i.e. performance equals to annual salary) • Provide quality assurance to performance agreements of senior managers in terms of explicitly outlining potential performance above expected levels (i.e. performance that exceed salaried level, and that may be rated at levels that attract / warrant rewarding additional to salary) In order to ensure the alignment of individual performance agreements of executive and senior managers to Annual Performance Plans of the ECRDA
4. CEO and Management Relations: • Keep the CEO fully informed of all important issues and aspects of the ECRDA’s performance, opportunities and trends, positive or negative • Ensure sufficient and appropriate information is forwarded to the CEO throughout the year to effectively assess strategy implementation and operational issues, and performance indicators and outcomes • Attend all Executive and other management meetings called during the year, and ensure provision of high-level Secretariat support to both • Place on the agenda for meetings of Executives and other management any matter relating to the ECRDA's business which should be discussed, including but not limited to the matters stated to be decided by or referred to the Board • Ensure decisions of CEO, Executive and other management are fully, promptly and properly carried out, with the required follow-up In order to ensure fruitful relations with the CEO, Executives and management in providing secretariat support and decisions’ implementation follow-up
5. Progress performance reporting: • Identify opportunities and drive changes to improve implementation and evaluation of strategic and business planning processes in the ECRDA to enable better performance tracking and reporting capacity • Engage to monitor trends, performance and progress against the strategic plan and evaluate further support which may be required to ensure delivery against the plan • Oversee statutory and periodic reporting on progress towards business objectives and discuss future directions • Scope, conduct and provide feedback related to confidential research activities or feasibility studies • Facilitate the submission of reports to the Board, shareholder, Provincial and National Treasury, and Provincial Legislature In order to ensure the monitoring of strategy implementation and performance outcomes through accurate, timely, and statutory performance reporting
6. Annual reporting: • Oversee collation of all the necessary information from business units • Analyse all quarterly reports and consolidate into an annual report • Coordinate the submission of annual report to the Board for approval • Develop draft annual report • Facilitate presentation of annual report to Provincial Legislature and relevant portfolio committees, as necessary In order to ensure statutory reporting on performance against strategic objectives and budget for the ECRDA
7. Key relationships: • Establish professional networks and relationships to maintain currency of issues; share ideas, tools and learnings; leverage intelligence; and collaborate on common responses to emerging issues • Leverage continuous improvements in planning approaches, tools or processes • Negotiate and approve contracts and service level agreements related to Office of the CEO • Manage contracts and monitor provision of services to ensure compliance with contracts and service arrangements In order to ensure application of updated tools and learnings to enhance the quality of strategic planning and implementation within the ECRDA
8. Subsidiary oversight: • Oversee the deployment and implementation of systems used for subsidiaries oversight • Oversee the retention of accountants and lawyers who are able to maintain the ECRDA’s reporting systems on subsidiaries • Provide the CEO and Board with up-to-date technical information to and from subsidiaries In order to ensure effective subsidiary oversight on the technical level for the ECRDA
9. Research and Development: • Oversee the deployment and implementation of systems used for economic intelligence • Oversee the deployment and implementation of systems used for knowledge management • Oversee the deployment and implementation of systems used for research and innovation • Oversee the deployment and implementation of systems and measures used for business development • Provide the CEO and Board with up-to-date technical information on research and development In order to ensure effective research and development for the ECRDA
10. Enterprise risk and integrity management: • Oversee the deployment and implementation of systems used for risk planning, implementation, reporting, governance, and management • Oversee the deployment and implementation of systems used for business continuity planning • Oversee the deployment and implementation of systems used for integrity management (ethics) • Oversee the deployment and implementation of systems and measures used for compliance management In order to ensure executive and administrative support for enterprise risk management for the ECRDA
11. Perform any other related duties as instructed by the CEO
The application, which should as minimum contain a covering letter, CV, certified copies of your identity document, qualifications and drivers licence, must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Without prejudice, correspondence will be limited to the short-listed candidates.
• Further be informed that if you have not been contacted within 1 month of the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.
• ECRDA is committed to the provisions of the Employment Equity Act (Act No. 55 of 1998)
• ECRDA reserves the right to appoint or not to make an appointment.
• Interviews will be conducted via MS Teams virtual platform, unless stated otherwise
• Administrative enquiries may be directed via email to Sarieta Maasdorp at email@example.com
• Technical enquiries may be directed via email to C. Gardner at firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING DATE: 29 June 2021 at 12h00 midday. Late applications will not be accepted.