EASTERN CAPE RURAL DEVELOPMENT AGENCY (ECRDA)
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL ADVERTISEMENT
Position : Economist
Task Grade Level : 13
Location : Head Office
Reporting Line : Head of Office and Senior Manager Strategy
Duration : 5-Year Contract
Start Date : As soon as possible
Position advert nr : B4
NOTE: Applicants must please clearly indicate the name and position number on the application.
Main purpose of the Position:
To provide specialist economic advice to the ECRDA
Assessed Basic or Competent proficiency level on the following leading competences:
• Strategic Direction and Leadership • People Management • Programme and Project Management • Financial Management • Change Leadership • Governance Leadership • Stakeholder Relations
Assessed Basic or Competent proficiency level on the following core competences:
• Moral Competence • Planning and Organising • Analysis and Innovation • Knowledge and Information Management • Communication • Results and Quality Focus
Key Performance Areas: 1. Economic research, assessment and analysis: • Research and collect information on any aspect of economic and social policy, ranging from interest rates, taxation and employment levels to energy, health, transport and international development • Design methods and procedures for obtaining data • Understand various sampling techniques used to conduct different types of surveys • Create, as well as use, econometric and other financial modelling techniques to develop forecasts • Carry out background research and literature reviews • Collect, sift and assemble data • Analyse and interpret the collected data to test the effectiveness of current policies, products or services and advise on the suitability of alternative courses of action and the allocation of scarce resources • Explain research methodology and justify conclusions drawn from research data • Write technical and non-technical reports and policy briefs on economic trends and forecasts • Provide economic advice to the ECRDA and its stakeholders • Evaluate past and present economic issues and trends • Deliver oral and visual presentations, which non-economist audiences must be able to understand in order to inform decisions. • Assess and analyse the information using specialist software and advanced methods in statistical analysis to produce forecasts of economic trends • Assess the economic impact of national and provincial events on rural Eastern Cape, such as major sporting events • Analyse the potential job creation of inward investment projects • Analyse the efficiency of scarce resources in rural development • Analyse the performance of the ECRDA with a view to advising development fund managers or clients on investments • Analyse the economic impact of transport infrastructure development on rural Eastern Cape • Advise the ECRDA on the economic implications of policy options • Produce research on the entire Eastern Cape or rural economy to influence international economic organisations and forums • Study how exchange rates affect the competitiveness and productivity of Eastern Cape and international trade • Prepare briefs for ECRDA shareholder, and provide answers to Ministers’ and MECs' questions • Use findings to advice the ECRDA, and make recommendations of ways to improve rural development in the province In order to provide economic assessment and analysis for the ECRDA
2. Economic intelligence: • Organise set of concepts, methods and tools which unify all the co-ordinated actions of research, acquisition, treatment, storage and diffusion of information, relevant to an individual function or ECRDA in the framework of pursuit of strategic objectives [This should cover such wide areas as products, services, technology, markets, legal, macroeconomics, and environmental ethics] • Provide the basis for knowledge management in the ECRDA To ensure collation and manipulation of economic intelligence data for ECRDA operations and strategic thrusts.
3 Knowledge management: • Find, map, gather, and filter information to affirm ECRDA’s organisational knowledge • Facilitate the conversion of personal knowledge into shared knowledge resources, understanding and learning • Process shared knowledge resources to deliver and transfer explicit knowledge • Facilitate the building / creation of intellectual capital for the ECRDA (whether explicit, embedded, or tacit) • Establish the critical success factors for knowledge management To ensure knowledge management for the sustenance of the ECRDA’s operations and long-term strategic objectives
4. Perform any other related duties as instructed by the Head of Office & Senior Manager: Strategy
The application, which should as minimum contain a covering letter, CV, certified copies of your identity document, qualifications and drivers licence, must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Without prejudice, correspondence will be limited to the short-listed candidates.
• Further be informed that if you have not been contacted within 1 month of the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.
• ECRDA is committed to the provisions of the Employment Equity Act (Act No. 55 of 1998)
• ECRDA reserves the right to appoint or not to make an appointment.
• Interviews will be conducted via MS Teams virtual platform, unless stated otherwise
• Administrative enquiries may be directed via email to Sarieta Maasdorp at email@example.com
• Technical enquiries may be directed via email to C. Gardner at firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING DATE: 29 June 2021 at 12h00 midday. Late applications will not be accepted.